The bronzier Claude François Rabiat (1756-1815) began his studies under Etienne Vignerelle in 1769. He acquired his master’s title as “gilder of metals” in March 1778. He was running a large workshop on rue Beaubourg, catering exclusively to merchants such as André Coquille and Thémet, clock makers such as Bailly, Mallet, Lépine and Lesieur, and some of Paris’ leading bronze makers such as Pierre-Philippe Thomire, Pierre-François Feuchère and Claude Galle. He also worked for the imperial furniture depot. After his death, his three sons continued the running of the family workshop under the company name “Rabiat frères” until they each decided to pursue their activity independently as of 1819.